- Do these reflect the region’s sustainability priorities?
- Are we missing critical goals that need to be addressed, in order to achieve our charge to reduce energy and greenhouse gas emissions and make strides toward regional sustainability?
- What are the priorities among the 21 draft goals where extra effort to define regional projects and model programs should be focused?
The Cleaner Greener Southern Tier Plan is underway, and the website is one way we will continue reaching out to you for your feedback on this process to develop a regional sustainability plan for the Southern Tier. Residents, businesses, and institutions from Steuben, Schuyler, Chemung, Tompkins, Tioga, Broome, Chenango, and Delaware counties are all invited to participate in the development of this plan that will establish regional goals and identify implementation actions that will enable the Southern Tier region to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by 80% above 1990 levels by 2050.
This Cleaner Greener Southern Tier Plan was awarded $1,000,000.00 by New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) to develop a regional sustainability vision and goals that will provide a map to a sustainable future for the Southern Tier and identify actions needed to achieve that future. The Plan will result in several products:
- A regional baseline inventory of greenhouse gas emissions and energy use, and an assessment of natural resource and economic assets, liabilities, and opportunities.
- Regional sustainability targets on topics such as energy supply, transportation, waste and water management, land use, livable communities, climate change adaptation, economic development, and governance.
- A sustainability plan with both a short-term action strategy and a long-term implementation plan to achieve the regional targets and goals.
- A priority list of projects, including names, short descriptions, and technical analysis, that the region has selected as candidates for NYSERDA funding in the next phase of this program.
Thank you for your time and participation.